Sr. Scientist, High Performance Computing
Bionano Genomics is looking for a talented Sr. Scientist to drive the optimization and deployment of bioinformatics algorithms onto high performance computing (HPC) platforms. This person will interact with teams of bioinformatics, software experts and third parties in the deployment of optimized algorithms onto computing clusters and custom computing platforms provided by Bionano.
The successful candidate will join a fast growing, innovative team that is developing cutting edge technologies in a fast paced, collaborative environment. They will contribute significantly to developing novel tools for genomic analysis as part of an interdisciplinary team that places emphasis on extraordinary achievement. The position is based in our San Diego headquarters.
To apply for this position please email your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Optimize and harden bioinformatics algorithms for commercial use
- Configure and tune cluster batch systems
- Integrate bioinformatics algorithms with management tools and visualization systems
- Help with instrument image detection algorithms
Skills and Education
- At least 5 years of configuring and working with HPC clusters
- At least 5 years of developing and optimizing commercial software
- Experience working with large and complex scientific data sets (genomic data preferred)
- Experienced with Linux (Centos preferred)
- Experienced with batch queuing systems including Sun Grid Engine (SGE)
- Fluent in Bash, Python, Perl, C, C++
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with teams of other technical and domain science experts
- Familiarity with and experience using software engineering processes, including requirements analysis and specification.
- A minimum of a M.S. (PhD preferred) in Physics, Mathematics, Computational Biology. Bioinformatics, or a related field
- Genomic or scientific experience
- Image processing knowledge is useful
- Knowledge of Cloud (AWS preferred) computing services a plus
- Experienced with profilers such as VTune
- Ability to self-manage time and tasks as well as coordinate tasks within a team
- Enthusiasm, self-motivated and goal-orientated
- Web development knowledge is beneficial
- Experience working in regulated environments is helpful
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Bionano Genomics does not accept resumes submitted by agencies. The Human Resources team is the focal point for all recruitment and hiring at the company. Agencies are asked not to contact or forward resumes to our Executive team, Management team, or any current Bionano employee for consideration. Resumes are only accepted from agencies if a signed agreement is in place and therefore Bionano Genomics is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Bionano Genomics is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of any kind. Bionano is committed to the principles of equal opportunity employment for all employees and to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Bionano are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Bionano will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics and encourages applicants of all ages. Bionano participates in E-Verify.