Based in San Diego, CA, Bionano Genomics® is a commercial company that has delivered an altogether better way of gaining a fully informed understanding of genomes. With our revolutionary new genome mapping platforms, the Irys® System and Saphyr™ System, researchers can conduct unique studies to gain a complete picture of genome biology, including structural variations that current tools fail to detect. Bionano provides researchers and clinicians with the most comprehensive, organized and actionable picture of a genome with unprecedented insights into how the individual components of genomes are ordered, arranged, and interact with each other.
This position is a unique ground floor opportunity to join a rapidly growing genomics technology company.
Bionano Genomics is looking for a talented, highly innovative bioinformatics scientist to perform large-scale genomic analysis aligned with key Bionano goals to address specific biological questions. Bionano’s high-throughput single-molecule genome mapping platform enables comprehensive genome structural analysis. The candidate will perform analysis on these map data as well as NGS sequence data to generate insights into biological structural variants and their association with diseases. The successful candidate will be joining a highly collaborative environment with expertise in multiple areas and will work in our San Diego office.
The successful candidate must have in-depth knowledge of contemporary bioinformatics approaches for sequence analysis. He or she will have the ability to perform advanced genomic analysis and to analyze and interpret a large volume of diverse datasets to drive genomic discovery. This position requires scientific rigor and the capacity to perform independent analysis.
To apply for this position please email your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform data mining, analysis, and integration on genomic data from Bionano, NGS, and other high-throughput platforms (microarray, aCGH, physical/genetic mapping etc.).
- Extract features of interest from data relating to specific biological questions.
- Design, implement, and validate analysis pipeline and algorithms, and provide written documentation.
- Contribute to presentation of methods, results, conclusions, and recommendations.
- Work closely with Research and Development on internal and external projects.
Skills and Education
- M.S. in statistics, bioinformatics, genomics or computational biology.
- 0-2 years of post-doctoral experience.
- Experience with one or more of the following: Python, Perl, and R.
- Knowledge in statistics, modeling, and machine learning.
- Knowledge in basic biological processes and genomics.
- Working knowledge of laboratory protocols relevant to sequence analysis.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and shift priorities according to company needs in a fast-paced environment.
- Ph.D. in statistics, bioinformatics, genomics or computational biology.
- 2-5 years of relevant post-doctoral and/or industry experience in biotech, medical device and/or life sciences.
- Experience with one or more of the following: C++, Java, and SQL.
- Experience with NGS technologies.
- Experience with analysis of clinical data, leading to prioritization and identification of disease-driving variants.
- Experience with high-performance (Linux cluster and/or cloud) computing
- Experience with writing production-level code.
- In-depth knowledge of sequence alignment and assembly algorithms.
- Knowledge in population genetics and experience with population- and family-based analysis.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee may occasionally be required to stand and/or move about the office. Specific vision abilities may be required by this job including close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
The successful candidate will join a fast growing, innovative team that is developing cutting edge technologies in a fast paced, collaborative environment. They will contribute significantly to developing novel tools for genomic analysis as part of an interdisciplinary team that places emphasis on extraordinary achievement.
Bionano Genomics is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a positive, diverse and exciting work environment with competitive salary and benefits and the potential for career growth.
To apply for this position please email your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference job code SD067.